Michigan is still under stay-at-home orders through May 28, but it also sounds like the Governor is opening up some businesses in the northern part of the state this Friday the 22nd. Restaurants and bars can operate at no more than 50% capacity, with customers 6′ apart and servers wearing masks and taking other precautions, for example.
To be honest, I haven’t been following the data and the news quite as closely. I got tired of protesters at the Capitol saying, “Don’t treat us like children!” while dressed up like Pikachu and carrying an AK-47, or dangling naked Barbie from a noose…
I guess the next protest is “Operation Haircut,” planned for Wednesday. I wonder how many guns and nooses they’ll bring to that one.
In the meantime, we’ve got partial layoffs at the state. I was already a part-time employee. Now I’m working roughly 20% fewer hours starting this week. I have no idea how this is going to play out with unemployment and such. Should be interesting.
Some of the things we’ve been doing to try to maintain sanity:
- Signed up for a virtual 4K run. The kids and I will be running (or walking, mostly) four kilometers, then sending in our times. It’s a Star Wars-themed event, so they’ll mail us Star Wars medals. Yay! And it raises money for cancer research.
- Had a streaming movie night with friends on Saturday, and watched Highlander: The Search for Vengeance. Highlander anime … I was amused. And it was better than Highlander 2, at least!
- Still doing weekly Zoom calls with my parents, and another with my parents-in-law.
- The Friday night readings of Tamora Carter: Goblin Queen have been a nice break. It’s another way for me to connect with folks. And we’re in the last week of the Kickstarter, so I’ll be able to start organizing and planning how to get rewards out to people soon.
- Writing is going very slowly, but it’s progressing. Had to take a break to figure out the history of two alien factions so I could sort out how the middle third of the book should work. As usual, I think I’d made things too complicated in the initial plan — and I’m using the word “plan” loosely.
How are all of you holding up?