To say I’m excited would be an understatement. The Continuum folks I’ve talked to so far have been great, the convention looks like a lot of fun, and on top of that, it’s my first time to Australia. I’ve been looking forward to this trip all year, and will be taking a little extra time after the convention to look around a bit.
Now, I consider myself a well-educated person, but I have to admit that my knowledge of Australia is a little limited. Here’s what I do know:
- Everything is poisonous.
- Drop bears.
So I throw myself on the mercy of the internet. Help me, hive mind.
- What must I make sure to bring along?
- What kind of electrical conversion doohickey do I need to make sure Australia’s power grid (which I’m assuming is poisonous) doesn’t kill my stuff?
- What’s the best way to test for Iocaine Powder?
- Do I have to check my shoes for koalas every morning?
- What if I can’t find the “Australia” setting on my camera?
- How nasty are the foreign transaction fees on the credit card likely to be?
- Any tips for jet lag? (Right now, my plan is to try to stay up until bedtime on the first day to see if I can force my body into the new schedule. Either that, or just spend the whole time hallucinating.)
- Will customs let me bring Hugh Jackman home as a gift for my wife?
- Do wombats really poop in cubes? (Follow-up: Is cube-shaped poop poisonous?)
And what else should I know that I’m forgetting to ask about?