Cool Stuff Friday
I don’t know about you, but I’m tired and ready for some things to smile about.
- Amateur Photographer Shoots Largest Ever True Color Photo of the Night Sky. Composed of 37,000 photographs, this is “a 360-panoramic view of the sky taken by trekking 60,000 miles across the western United States and South Africa…”
- High-resolution, zoomable and navigable version is here.
- Best #BisexualFacts. Apparently Bisexual Facts was a thing on Twitter, and resulted in a number of humorous “facts” … which have now been turned into lovely images, suitable for framing or giggling over. Though it’s sad that none of the tweets were attributed in the images. (Context for these comments: http://www.xojane.com/fun/the-sheer-unadulterated-joy-of-bisexualfacts.)
- Best #BisexualFacts, Part 2.
- Australian pigeons team up to use a public water fountain. Because Australia! (Link from Laura Anne Gilman)
- Also in Australia, scientists basically brought a heart back to life without a body. I don’t know whether Australia is the most awesome place in the world, or the most terrifying. (And yes, I know the correct answer is probably “both.”)
- Image gallery from the Hubble telescope. Wow…
December 6, 2013 @ 5:06 pm
The answer is definitely “both”. As evidence, I give you:
Australian Funnel-web Spider. DO NOT CLICK LINK IF YOU ARE EVEN SLIGHTLY ARACHNOPHOBIC.
(Sorry to shout, but I am not arachnophobic and these spiders give me the heebies.)
Black Flying Fox
December 6, 2013 @ 5:18 pm
And I just realized I listed those backward: The flying foxes are awesome and the Funnel-web Spiders are terrifying.
Smudge, not being a funnel-web as far as I can tell, is awesome. And not Australian.
OR IS HE?
December 6, 2013 @ 9:07 pm
Here is something cool I just discovered that you all may appreciate. All of this person’s art is amazing, but this just blew my mind. They draw with both hands at the SAME TIME! (as a slightly ambidextrous artist myself, the best I can do is day to day things with my ‘other’ hand, much less DRAW that way.)