Three Days Along

So far, this full-time writer thing has been … weird.

Several people warned me that it would take a while to catch up on sleep, and they weren’t wrong. I’ve been sleeping in a bit and feeling surprisingly tired in the evenings. I’ve even crashed for the occasional nap.

I’ve gotten a bit of writing done, roughly at the same pace I’d been doing before. (I’m up to 11K words on Project Bob.) I’ve also started chipping away at various chores and errands and home maintenance things. Part of my brain is grumbling that I haven’t made more progress on the new book, but I’m trying to cut myself some slack this first week. This is a recovery and transition time.

It’s also the last week before the kids go back to school. Starting next week, I’ll be alone from the time I wake up until mid-afternoon when I head out to pick up my daughter. I suspect that will make a big difference when it comes to being able to focus on writing, or whatever else I need to work on.

Without the structure of the day job, I’m working on putting together my own schedule. I’m hoping my days will look something like this:

  • 8 a.m. – Wake up. Grab breakfast.
  • 8:30 – 10:30 – 10 hour/week freelance opportunity. (I’m still waiting to see if this works out, but if it does, it would be a nice, small, steady paycheck to supplement the other writing income.)
  • 10:30 – Noon – Writing! (Or grocery shopping and other errands, when needed.)
  • Noon – 1:00 – Lunch.
  • 1:00 – 3:00 – Writing!
  • 3:00 – 3:30 – Pick up my daughter.
  • 3:30 – 4:30 – Writing!

There could be evening writing work as needed, and weekends as well, but if this works out, it means I’m getting 3-4 hours of writing time every day before stopping to make dinner.

I’m also planning to start exercising again in the evenings. I started with 20 minutes on the exercise bike last night. If I can get back into the habit, it will help the depression, the diabetes, and just get me back into better shape overall.

Other things I need to figure out:

  • Making time for socializing and getting out of the house.
  • Making sure the housework and such doesn’t devour all of my writing time.
  • How much to try to work in the evenings and weekends. (I know I want and need more time to relax with my family than I’d been getting before.)

It all feels a bit surreal right now, and it will be another week before I start to have anything approaching “normal” full-time writer days.

But I already feel more rested and less stressed than I did a week ago. So far, so good!